Tour a Battleship for Vacation Excitement
History is not all that exciting when you are forced to view it simply in the pages of books. Plan your next vacation around many of the historic sites in the United States. If the subject is maritime history, then here are some of the places you should see.
1. The USS Constitution is the undefeated wooden hull ship (never lost a battle since 1797). The Museum in Charleston, Massachutes has interactive galleries that will take you through the 200-year voyage of time that surrounds the ship.
2. The USS Constellation is the last existing American Civil War-era naval vessel and is currently anchored in Baltimore, Maryland’s Inner Harbor. Guided tours are available through out the year, but they do require reservations so call ahead. There are also free public presentations offered during the day that include hands-on activities involving the working of the ship.
3. The USS Intrepid is one of the most successful ships in the country’s history. It is just one of the many exhibits available tat the Intrepid Sea, Air $ Space Museum in New York, New York. There are some great historical re-creations and even a chance to ride in the A-6 Cockpit Simulator. This is a stop that will keep everyone in the group on the edge.
4. The Battleship Memorial Park, located in Mobile, Alabama, is one of the best military parks you will find in the United States. Here you can tour the USS Alabama, several World War II and Pre-World War II eras aircrafts, aircrafts from the Korean and Vietnam Wars eras, some Cold War era aircrafts, and the USS Drum submarine. Group tours and discounts are available.
5. The Battleship New Jersey is one of the newest museums open to the public. It stands at over 11 stories high and is almost three football fields long (the longest battleship ever built). It is located on the Camden Waterfront in New Jersey. There are several exhibits and tours available including ones that are self-guided and docent-assisted. There is even an opportunity to sleep over on the Battleship (for children).
Bring history to life by touring a battleship or vessel that helped make this country what it is. There are many tours available all around the country. If you can’t find a battleship then check the local naval yard to see if public tours are available. There is so much to learn about the past and it will be an experience you won’t soon forget.